Wednesday, August 20, 2008

WTF? Seriously?


I love music.  I've been playing forever, and listening even longer, and I've got some playing in my ears right now.  But I haven't heard a freaking song on the radio that I actually liked in maybe eight years.  Is it just me, or do other people feel this way too?  I haven't heard a single Fall Out Boy or Jonas Brothers song that I honestly thought was good music.  How do these bands stay at the top of the charts week after week?  I know personal taste is a factor, but are people that into the music, or is it just because it's what's on the radio?  Music eventually changes, it has evolved over hundreds of years and will continue to, but I suppose I'm just tired of swooning leftover-emo heartbreaker bands and American Idol semi-finalists.  I'm ready for something that could change the world.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but it seems like what's not on the radio is either sucking at Warped Tour funded by teens that wish that punk hadn't died, or is some new scenester trend that sounds just like the last one.  That's not to say that there isn't an occasional song that I'll like, but where are the Doors, the Beatles, even the Nirvana of today?  If each decade since the 40's could be represented by one artist each, I would have to say:

40's: Frank Sinatra
50's: Elvis Presley
60's: The Beatles (by default, but this one could have several)
70's: Pink Floyd
80's: Michael Jackson (runner up: Pixies, but MJ was the definition of 80's)
90's: Nirvana

... And that's where I'm stuck.  All of these artists have left their mark on pop culture (amongst several 
others), but I can also definitely see these artists going down in some music history books in the future.  But what will this decade's defining band be?  Where is the band that your parents don't want you listening to, that breaks the mold of anything done before, setting the bar for musicians in the future?  I can't imagine what future generations will think.  Where is our member of the 27 club?  Lil' Jon is the most 'era-encompassing' artist I can think of, and that's kind of sad in a way.  But... also kind of cool.  Maybe there's a little kick left in the new millennium, maybe the best is yet to come.  With an election and possibility for change coming up, new artists may be inspired, and new ideas may surface.  Or maybe it will never happen again due to dissemination of the music industry, for fear of artists rallying young people towards a cause.  Maybe this is what iPods are for.  Let's just hope for the best.

No comments: